Tuesday, October 21, 2014

In the insignificant

Change of one sort or another is the essence of life, so there will always be the loneliness and insecurity that come with change. When we refuse to accept that loneliness and insecurity are part of life, when we refuse to accept that they are the price of change, we close the door on many possibilities for ourselves; our lives become lessened…. Life evolves; change is constant. - Jean Vanier 
 The last two months have been marked by deep and lasting change. My surroundings have changed, my daily routine has changed, the people I live with and near have changed, and my lifestyle has changed. Amidst all this change, it has been difficult to identify any constants. At times, loneliness and insecurity have threatened to overtake me. When I don’t feel known, when I don’t feel equipped, when I have trouble remembering why I wanted my life to look like this. 

At these times, when I feel like my eyes are barely above the waves, God reminds me of His faithfulness. My roommate gives me a hug out of the blue, saying “I just love you.” Our next door neighbor comes over to drop off mail that he picked up for us and remind us to turn on the porch light. I hear the sweet squeals of a happy baby.  

God shows up for me in those little, simple moments. Even when I want to turn off my alarm in the morning and sleep through the responsibilities. Even when I snap at my roommates out of exhaustion or frustration. Even when I question all of my reasons for being here. When I turn around, He is there, holding His arms wide open to welcome me into His loving, merciful embrace. There are many things that He is inviting me into in this new season, and one of them is opening the door to change and uncertainty. Though it is extremely challenging for me to let go of my desire for security and control, God is showing me the abundant life and love that He wants to give me when I loosen my grip. 

If it weren’t for my new city, my new neighbors, my new housemates, my new job, and all of the new experiences I am encountering, I would be stuck with the same image of God that I had before. But, because I am way outside my comfort zone, living and loving in a way that is unfamiliar to me, I can develop and grow my image of God and my relationship with this constant, loving Shepherd. He shows up in the joy and laughter, and He shows up in the sorrow and tears. He is there in our doubt and our insecurity and our hesitant steps.  

This life is not perfect. It is messy and trying and confusing. But there is so much beauty in drawing strength from God's faithfulness and mercy in even the simplest of things, and realizing that the insignificant moments are often the most significant.

No comments:

Post a Comment